Pregnancy Pilates class is an ideal way for you to exercise safely throughout your pregnancy because Pilates is low-impact and exercise can be carried out on a mat or on a physio ball. The Chartered Physiotherapist Niamh has carefully selected Pilates exercises to target your deep stabilising abdominal and pelvic floor muscles. Niamh is a qualified Fitback and Bumps Pilates Instructor and is qualified to teach both Ante-natal and Post-natal Pilates.
The ideal time to commence Ante-natal classes is from around 12 weeks of your pregnancy. This will allow you to gain the most benefits. It is possible to start ant-natal pilates into your third trimester.
The Ante-natal classes involve a 4 week educational exercise programme designed for pregnancy and the challenges that comes with it. The programme focuses on understanding the changes your body goes through, the importance of posture, safe and effective exercises in pregnancy and abdominal and pelvic floor exercises. You also learn how to physically prepare for labour and learn the invaluable skill of relaxation.
Niamh can run this programme on a one to one basis or in groups of up to 8.
Benefits of Ante-natal Pilates
- Reduced pelvic and back pain
- Reduced incidence of stress incontinence
- Stronger core
- Improved posture
- Meet other pregnant women and share pregnancy experiences.
* You’ll need to complete the Ante-natal Medical Registration form before starting Antenatal classes.
* As classes are run by a Chartered Physiotherapist the cost may be covered by your health insurance.