Chartered Physiotherapist Niamh Coffey was awarded Fetac Level 6 Manual Handling Instructor with Distinction in November 2016. This means Niamh is qualified to teach correct Manual Handling techniques in the workplace. It is a LEGAL REQUIREMENT for Employers to provide Manual Handling Training to Employees every 3 years to reduce risk of back pain and musculoskeletal injuries.
Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (General Application) Regulations 2007, Part 2, Chapter 4, Manual Handling of Loads’, states that staff engaged in manual handling must be given training in the safe handling of loads.
Anyone whose work includes Manual Handling activities, the transporting or supporting of loads that includes lifting, putting down, pushing, pulling, carrying or moving a load which involves risk of back injury should be trained in correct Manual Handling techniques.
Manual Handling Course Outline
The Manual Handling course is designed for all individuals involved in work that includes lifting and movement of goods.
The aim of this course is to teach participants safe manual handling techniques and practices in the workplace and to provide them with knowledge to reduce the risk of musculoskeletal injuries in their working environment
Understand and recite the legislation regarding the practice of safe manual handling in the work place
- Have sufficient knowledge of the anatomy of the spine
- Understand back pain and the causes of back pain in the work place
- Identify good and bad postures for manula handling in the work place
- Explain the benefits of fitness and flexibility in order to be able to carry out correct manual handling techniques
- Identify possible hazards to safe manual handling and be able to carry out a risk assessment in the work place, TILE
- Have knnowledge and be able to outline the 8 principles of manual handling techniques
- Be able to practice 5 manual handling techniques correctly
- Introduction, aims and objectives of course
- Anatomy of the Spinal Column
- Posture and causes of back pain
- Fitness and Flexibility
- Ergonomics and Risk Assessment in work place, TILE
- Practice 5 Manual Handling techniques
- Summary, Questions and Answers
- Written Questionnaire
All courses will be individually tailored towards the specific work place. Contact Niamh for any queries and a quote. We can offer competition prices based on number of people attending the course.
Advantages of Niamh Coffey Physiotherapy in your Workplace
- Niamh has 11 years of experience treating Musculoskeltal Injuries, including common work related injuries such as neck and back pain and repetitive strain injuries such as tennis elbow
- Local business and can be called on at short notice for Training, Assessments or Physiotherapy Treatment
- Can provide reports on treatment and liaise closely with HR departments
- Can provide Return to Work Rehabilitation Programmes to Employees
- Can offer services at discount rates for companies